Lime Jello Salad is a family favorite, just like Grandma used to make! This old fashioned side dish is called a “salad” but it is really a dessert and will be a hit with guests of all ages.
Its sweet lime flavor and fluffy texture make it the perfect dessert salad to round out any meal. Try a Lime Jello Salad if you’re looking for a new addition to your Thanksgiving feast, a green St. Patrick’s Day treat, or a refreshing summertime treat.
You might think this kind of green jello salad hasn’t been popular since the 1960s. But it has stood the test of time and is still a staple of many holiday celebrations and church potluck dinners.
People love it because it is a simple no-bake dessert that tastes amazing! If you have never tried a vintage jello salad, keep reading and give this recipe a try.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
- Lime Jell-O
- Hot water
- Cottage cheese
- Crushed pineapple
🥣How to Make Lime Jello Salad
- Dissolve – Dissolve the gelatin in 1 cup boiling water in a mixing bowl. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Mix – Add the cottage cheese and mayonnaise and stir until combined. Then mix in the canned pineapple and chopped nuts.
- Mold – Pour the entire mixture into a serving dish or a jello mold. Refrigerate for about 2 hours until set.
❓Should I Use a Jello Mold?
If you have a fancy mold, you can certainly use one for this green jello salad. If not, pour it into a casserole dish or glass dish for serving.
Growing up, my mom had an entire collection of jello molds that hung in her kitchen. But she gradually gave them all away, and I don’t own any. Luckily a square casserole dish makes an excellent substitution.
This classic side dish can be cut into squares or scooped with a spoon. Serve it with a little whipped cream or Cool Whip for extra sweetness. Add some extra walnuts or maraschino cherries on top.
💭How to Store
Store the jello salad in an airtight container or cover it with plastic wrap. It will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge. Don’t let it sit out at room temperature for more than 1-2 hours.
⭐Tips and Variations
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- Make this vintage jello salad up to 1 day ahead of time.
- Use a jello mold or a square casserole dish.
- Use pecans instead of walnuts, or leave the nuts out if you prefer.
- Some people prefer cream cheese instead of cottage cheese.
- Stir in mini marshmallows for extra sweetness.
- Substitute mandarin oranges or peaches for the crushed pineapple.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Lime Jello Salad Recipe
- 1 package Lime gelatin small package – 3 ounces
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- Boil the water. Then mix the hot water with the lime jello. Whisk until the gelatin is dissolved.1 package Lime gelatin, 1 cup hot water
- Let the jello sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Mix in the cottage cheese and mayonnaise until thoroughly combined.1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Stir the pineapple and chopped nuts into the cottage cheese mixture.1/2 cup crushed pineapple, 1/4 cup walnuts
- Pour the lime jello mixture into a bowl or mold and refrigerate for 2 hours until firm.
- Use pecans or another nut instead of walnuts.
- Use cream cheese instead of cottage cheese.
- Change up the canned fruit and try mandarin oranges or peaches.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.