This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias
Halloween is just a few days away! My teens are making final plans for costumes, and have decided that they want to be Zombies this year, with lots of fake blood and gruesome wounds. I am making a few last minute recipes, because we have a few Halloween parties coming up and we can’t show up without goodies. I love the idea of making a cake using Fanta for Halloween, and in this recipe I made an Orange Fanta Trifle by layering Fanta cake with orange mousse for a tasty Halloween dessert.
People have been using Fanta in cakes for years, because the bubbles in the soda keep the cake fluffy and moist, and the bright orange soda is perfect for Halloween. So I headed to Walmart to buy some Fanta for this recipe, and as a treat for my teens.When I was ready to make the trifle rather than making mousse from scratch I made a quick “cheater” mousse using orange gelatin and whipped cream. It tastes very orange and creamy, and is ready quickly. Then I crumbled the Fanta cake up and layered it in jelly jars with the mousse, some mandarin orange slices and topped it all off with whipped cream.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup Fanta
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 box orange gelatin
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 can mandarin orange slices
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a mixer.
- Add the flour and Fanta and mix until well combined.
- Lastly add the baking soda. Immediately pour into an ungreased 8 x 8 pan and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Cool completely, then crumble into pieces.
- While the cake is cooling make the mousse filling. Take a box of orange gelatin and make it using the instructions on the box for a quick set.
- Whip the cream in the mixer until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the gelatin and refrigerate for a few hours.
- To make the trifle first drain a can of mandarin oranges.
- Then whip the cream until stiff peaks form, adding in 2 T. of sugar as it whips.
- Make a layer of cake in a jelly jar, and top with mandarin orange slices.
- Add a layer of pudding, then repeat the 3 layers again.
- Top with whipped cream.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 603 Saturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 122mg Sodium: 230mg Carbohydrates: 63g Sugar: 43g Protein: 5g
Now that I am done baking for Halloween we just have to finish up the decorating!Â Today my teenage son and I are painting pumpkins, and we will carve some on Friday.