Chicken Parmigiana is an Italian dish that my kids love – but it is not one that I make at home. It is difficult to get it just right, and there are so many great Italian restaurants around town that we just order it when we are out. Â But these Slow Cooker Chicken Parmigiana Sandwiches are easy to make at home, and feature the Â same Italian flavors.
Of course these aren’t authentic, but they sure are tasty! Â The chicken is not breaded and fried, so this dinner is a lower calories than traditional Chicken Parmigiana too. Â I love dinners like this that I can put in the crock pot in the morning and know that everything will be ready when I get home. Â With a simple salad this is a complete and tasty dinner for the whole family.
It is also perfect for nights when we are busy, because everyone can have a hot, home cooked meal, even it we aren’t able to all sit down at the table together. Â Fall is always a busy time of the year for us, with sports and scout meetings multiple nights a week, so it is the perfect time for crockpot meals.
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 chicken breast, skinless boneless
- grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 sandwich rolls
- Add the crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes to the slow cooker.
- Chop the onions and garlic and add to the slow cooker.
- Add parsley, oregano, bay leaves, basil and the sauce all together.
- Place the chicken
- Set chicken breasts on top of the sauce and cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Stir the mixture to break up the chicken into shreds.
- Serve on rolls and top with a generous serving of Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Cholesterol: 27mgSodium: 787mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 17g
This recipe leaves plenty of leftovers too, because it makes enough for 8 people. Â So I know I will have leftovers that I can use for chicken spaghetti, or just freeze and serve the sandwiches again in a few weeks.
What are some of your favorite slow cooker meals for busy nights?