For our recent camping trip I decided to make homemade trail mix. I love trail mix, and it makes a great quick high protein snack. But it isn’t cheap, and by making my it myself I can leave out some of the less healthy ingredients that are usually included. This recipe was modified from a recipe in Cooking Light. I changed some of the ingredients to make it less spicy and added one bag of M & Ms, since my kids don’t think it is trail mix if it doesn’t have some candy.
Trail Mix Recipe
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup edamame
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 package M & Ms
- Preheat oven to 325. Combine sugar, salt, cumin and chili powder and mix well.
- Whisk egg white until it is foamy. Add almonds, cashews and edamame and mix well, then mix in spice mixture from #1. Spread mixture on baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring once.
- Cool completely, then stir in coconut, cranberries and M & Ms. Store in airtight container.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Saturated Fat: 4gSodium: 304mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 8g
2 thoughts on “Trail Mix Recipe”
My kids are like yours – it's not trail mix without the candy! I've never tried the edamame – but I'm excited to try!
I really love edamame! I've never much thought about adding it to trail mix though–good idea!