We have been eating more vegetarian food lately, partly because it can be healthier, and partly because my 18 year old is a vegetarian and she is still home on college break. I made this recipe for Vegetarian Chili earlier in the week, and it came out very tasty. I added in a little sauce from a can of chipotle chile in adobo sauce, and it made a huge difference in the taste. I didn’t add any of the chilies from the can, but just poured in about a teaspoon of the sauce. It added a rich smoky flavor to the dish. It is amazing what a big difference a small addition can make.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon abode sauce, from a can of chiles in abodo sauce
- 1 16 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat olive oil in sauce pan. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and red peppers and saute for 3 more minutes.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients except the pinto beans and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Finally stir in the pinto beans and heat for another 10 minutes. Serve with cheese.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187 Sodium: 1096mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 7g Protein: 8g