This post contains affiliate links.
I am always looking for easy vegetable side dishes to serve when we grill. This recipe for Cheddar Bacon Grilled Potatoes is perfect for a family dinner.
Potatoes are a staple for grilling at my house. We frequently make Salt Potatoes, a traditional Syracuse dish, but that involves heating up the house, which is not ideal when it is hot out. This potato side dish on the grill is a great alternative! I have grilled potatoes before, but this is the first time I thought to add in some BBQ sauce, which resulted in a big bold flavor which made the potatoes even better.
I used Dinosaur Bar-B-Que sauce, because that is our favorite local sauce, but I am sure it would taste great with whatever sauce you like best. I paired this with BBQ chicken leg quarters, and they would be great with steak or pork too.
I cooked the potatoes in a foil roasting pan that I placed right on the grill next to the chicken. After 30 – 40 minutes of cooking, the potatoes are tender, the BBQ sauce is blended in and the cheese is nicely melted.
- 6 red potatoes
- ½ red onion
- 1½ c. shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- ⅓ c. Barbecue sauce
- ½ c. bacon bits
- Spray a foil roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Slice the potatoes into thin slices and place in the foil roasting pan.
- Slice the onion and add on top of the potatoes.
- Pour the barbeque sauce over top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese and put the other half aside for later.
- Mix it all together and cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Grill the potatoes on medium heat for about 40 minutes. Shake the pan ocassionally so that it doesn't burn.
- Remove the potatoes from the grill and add the rest of the cheese.
- Cover for 5 more minutes so the cheese can melt.
- Add the bacon bits right before serving.
What are your favorite side dishes for grilling?