This post includes affiliate links.
One of my favorite things about St. Patrick’s Day is all the green food, like these Green Velvet Donuts, which are a perfect St. Patrick’s Day treat!
Red Velvet is a popular flavor for Valentine’s Day, and this is basically the same only with green food coloring instead of red. Â They are chocolate inside, but the green color makes them more seasonal.
I made my donuts in a Donut Maker, which, which makes five little donuts at a time. Â But you could also use a donut pan and bake them in the oven if you don’t want to store a whole new appliance. Â I got the Donut Maker on sale, and it is pretty cute, and makes the donuts in just a few minutes. I used a frosting bag to pipe the donut batter into the pan which made the entire process quick and easy.
The donuts came out with just a hint of green color on the outside!Â To top the Green Velvet Donuts off I made a traditional cream cheese frosting, dipped the donuts in, and sprinkled them with green sugar. I used big Green Sugar Gems, which are like rock candy and quite different from basic green sprinkles. It made the donuts look festive, and perfectly green for St. Patrick’s Day.
- 1 c. butter
- 1½ c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ c. flour
- 3 T. Cocoa Powder
- 1 T. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. baking soda
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 T. vinegar
- green food coloring
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 T. butter, soften
- ¼ c. powdered sugar
- 2 T. milk
- Green sugar to decorate
- Preheat Mini Donut Maker or preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease the donut maker or donut pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the buttermilk and vinegar to the batter, and then add the flour mixture and combine on low speed.
- Add some green food coloring and mix well.
- Put the batter into an icing piping bag and fill the donut maker or pan.
- Bake 7 minutes in Donut Maker or 15 in the oven.
- Cool completely on wire racks before frosting. Get the cream cheese and butter for the frosting out of the refrigerator to soften while the donuts cool.
- To make the frosting mix the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Mix in the powdered sugar and thin with milk.
- Dip the donuts in the frosting and then sprinkle with the green sugar.
The donuts were delicious, and make a nice change from cupcakes! What is your favorite green food for St. Patrick’s Day?
[FreshBundle bundle_id=”donuts_001″ layout=”tiles” featured=”B0073W5ZMQ” custom_title=”” ribbon_text=”” custom_buy_button=”” custom_cta=”” target=”current” ]