This post contains affiliate links
It seems like school just ended, but back to school sales are already popping up all over! Back to school time means the end of lazy summer days and the start of schedules and more organization, which means we need quick and easy breakfasts – like this Mango Overnight Oatmeal.
We homeschool, but we still start back up with school work in August. And this year my 16 year old son is taking a couple of dual enrollment classes at the community college. He doesn’t have a driver’s license yet, so that means I get to go to community college too, and wait around while he learns. So the years of working at home at the kitchen table are quickly coming to an end, and we have to be out of house bright and early three days a week this year.
Of course I want to make sure my son (and I) have a good breakfast before he heads out for school. We enjoy oatmeal for breakfast, but sometimes there isn’t even time for instant oatmeal, plus it is hard to eat hot oatmeal on the go! Overnight Oatmeal is perfect for busy mornings, because you put it together in just 5 minutes the night before, and then it is ready to eat when you wake up. You can grab it as you are walking out the door and eat it while riding in the car or on the bus.
Overnight Oatmeal is versatile, and you can vary the fruit you use or the type of milk you mix with the oats. My son is allergic to dairy, so we usually use almond or coconut milk. Mangoes are my favorite fruit to use in Overnight Oatmeal, since they are so sweet that you don’t need to add much sugar. Also the mangoes look so bright and pretty in the jars that it is a cheerful sight on a hectic morning. I used almond milk mixed with the oats, and added a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon.
I like lots of fruit in my Oatmeal, so I fill the jar to the top with fruit. I added a few nuts and some coconut on top and put the jars in the refrigerator. This gives me one less thing to think about on school mornings!
- ½ c. Oatmeal
- 1 t. brown sugar
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- ½ c. Almond Milk
- ½ c. mangoes
- 2 T. pecans
- 1 T. unsweetened coconut
- Put the oats in a Mason jar or cup.
- Add the brown sugar on top and sprinkle a little cinnamon on.
- Pour the Almond milk over the top.
- Fill the jar up with mangoes and top with pecans and coconut.
- Put a lid on the jar and store in the refrigerator overnight.
For more back to school ideas, check out a few of my favorite blogs:
- Baked Eggs in Portobello Mushroom Caps from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Free Behavior Charts Printable from A Mom’s Take
- DIY Pen / Pencil Cup Holder from Mom Does it All
- Teacher Survival Kit from My So Called Balanced Life
- DIY Schultute for back to school from Two Girls One Boy and a Crazy Mom
- DIY Homework Station from Home and Garden Cafe
- No Mess Glitter Composition Book from How Was Your Day
- Personalized Pencil And Art Supplies Cup from Our Family World
- 7 School Lunches to Pack Beyond the Sandwich from MommaDJane
- Out of the Blue College Gift Basket from Simply Southern Mom
- Fabulous Back To School DIY Notebook Covers from My Kid’s Guide
- Monogrammed Trinket Dish from Style on Main
- American Girl Accessories Notebooks from This Mama Loves