This time of year zucchini is one of the easiest vegetables to find around here. It is so prolific! My husband and I like zucchini, but our kids – not so much. So I am always looking for ways to make it tastier for them, rather than just sautéing it. I’ve tried making Chocolate Cake with it, but while that tastes great it isn’t something I can serve as a vegetable with dinner. So this week I added a little bit of bacon and cherry tomatoes to my zucchini for a different taste.
The result was delicious. It is one of the few times I have made zucchini that there haven’t been any leftovers! My kids said it was, “Better than usual,” which as far as I am concerned is high praise.
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1 zucchini, sliced thin
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt to taste
- Cook the bacon in a fry pan until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan, drain the grease, and wipe it out with a paper towel so there is only a small amount of bacon grease left in the pan.
- Sautee the sliced zucchini for 10 minutes until it is nicely cooked. Sprinkle with a little salt if desired.
- While it is cooking halve the cherry tomatoes, mince the garlic and chop the bacon.
- When the zucchini is cooked add the tomatoes, garlic and bacon and cook for about 1 minute more.
- Looking for more ways to use bacon in recipes? Check out these ideas.