Air fryer fish and chips is a delicious easy fish fry made in the air fryer. It is crispy without deep frying. Cod or haddock is breaded and cooked in the air fryer for a fillet that is crunchy outside and flaky inside. This easy homemade fish & chips makes a great family dinner!
Fish & chips is a classic dinner for a reason. This easy recipe gives you golden, crispy fillets with less oil, fat, calories and guilt.
Now I wish I could tell you that air fried fish tastes just like deep fried, but it doesn’t. It tastes amazing and the air fryer does a great job of crisping it and making a crusty coating, but you will know it wasn’t deep fried.
But deep fried haddock is a heavy dinner and not something I indulge in more than once or twice a year anyway, even though it is delicious. The air fryer is perfect for cooking fish that is tasty and healthy.
This recipe is made with a bread crumb coating. You can also check out my air fryer catfish recipe for a thinner flour and cornmeal coating or air fryer tilapia recipe which has no breading at all.
Why You Will Love Air Fryer Fish & Chips
- The breading makes it crispy and golden on the outside.
- The fillet is flaky and moist inside.
- It is cooked with very little added oil.
- It is a classic fish dinner for Lent or anytime of the year.
- You can use many types of white fish with this versatile recipe.
- Fish – This recipe works for any thicker white fish like cod, haddock or flounder. In most of the U.S. cod fillet is most often used. But in upstate NY haddock is the fish of choice, so that is what I use. Either works fine in this recipe.
- Bread crumbs – Panko bread crumbs are dryer and flakier than regular bread crumbs. They don’t absorb as much oil and tend to stay crispier longer. I used panko in this recipe, but regular bread crumbs will also work with no recipe modifications.
- Flour – The flour coats the fillets and helps dry them so the bread crumbs will stick and coating will crisp.
- Seasoning – I seasoned using salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- Egg – Dipping the fillet in egg helps the coating stick and brown.
- Fries – The “chips” in fish & chips is French fries of course. You can make homemade fries, like air fryer sweet potato fries, or use pre-made frozen ones.
How to Make Air Fryer Fish & Chips
1. Make the Chips
Use the air fryer to make your favorite French fries or make potato wedges. Or just heat frozen fries in the air fryer at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, shaking once.
While the fries cook preheat the oven to 250 degrees F and get the everything else ready for air frying.
Prepare three shallow bowls for adding the breading. In one bowl combine the flour along with the salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
Break the egg into another bowl and stir it with a fork to break it up. Put the bread crumbs in the third bowl.
Cut into pieces of fish that are good for serving and will fit into the air fryer basket. For haddock I cut the fillets in half.
Use a paper towel to pat the fillets dry. If they aren’t dry the coating will not stick as well.
Dip each piece into the flour mixture, then shake off any excess. Then dip it into the egg so it is coated with beaten egg.
Finally dip the fillet into the bowl of bread crumbs. Turn it to coat the entire piece with bread crumbs. Put the bread crumb coated fish aside on a rack and dip the rest of the pieces.
3. Air Fry
Once the fries are done dump them out on a tray and put them in the preheated 250 degree oven. This will keep them warm while you make the rest of the dinner..
Use a mister bottle of spray oil to spray a thin layer of oil on top of the breaded fish on the racks. Don’t use cooking sprays like Pam, since it can damage the finish of the basket.
If you don’t have a mister bottle brush a little oil on with a pastry brush. The air fryer uses less oil than deep frying, but you need some oil to get golden brown crispy fish!
Transfer the breaded fillets to the air fryer basket. Make sure you don’t over crowd the basket or overlap the pieces.
I find I can fit two haddock fillets cut into 4 pieces in my 5.8 quart air fryer. This is enough to serve 3-4 people.
Set the air fryer at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. If you just cooked fries in it the air fryer will already be warm. If you didn’t make fries in it preheat it at 400 degrees F for 3 minutes.
After about 6 minutes pull the basket out and carefully flip the pieces over. The fillets will will brown better on both sides if you flip it. When you flip it you can also spray a little more oil on if you want.
It is done when the fish flakes easily or reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees. For haddock this takes 10-12 minutes, although the time will vary depending on the thickness of your pieces.
How to Serve
Serve the air fried fish with the French fries along with some tartar sauce and lemon on the side. If you want to serve your dinner traditional British way add some vinegar for the fries!
How to Store
Fish & chips tastes best when it is eaten right away. You can reheat leftovers in the air fryer by cooking it at 370 degrees for for 5 minutes, but it won’t be as crispy.
Air Fryer Fish Sticks
You can easily make this recipe into fish sticks by just cutting it into smaller shapes about 1-2 inches in width. The rest of the recipe would remain the same.
I know my kids preferred this when they were younger, because they love to dip food. Plus air fryer fish sticks makes the entire dinner into finger food!
It is difficult to air fry frozen fish fillets because the breading will not stick well to them. For best results thaw it before air frying it.
Flour or cornmeal by itself also makes an excellent coating. Check out my recipe for air fryer catfish for fried fish without breadcrumbs.
If you want to make the recipe keto friendly you can substitute crush pork rinds for the bread crumbs.
Find More Easy Dinner Ideas
Air Fryer Fish & Chips Recipe
- 16 ounces frozen French fries or your favorite homemade air fryer fries
- 1 pounds fish fillets haddock, cod, pollock, flounder or other white fish
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Make the French fries first. Use the air fryer to heat frozen French fries at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, shaking once. Or make homemade air fryer fries.16 ounces frozen French fries
- While the fries cook preheat the oven to 250 degrees F and prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Get three bowls for breading. In one bowl put the bread crumbs. In the second bowl put the egg and stir it to mix it. In the third bowl add the flour along with the paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper and stir to mix.1 cup panko bread crumbs, 1 egg, 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut the fish fillet into serving size pieces. You can also cut it into fish stick pieces if you prefer.1 pounds fish fillets
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel. Then dip it into the bowl with the flour mixture.
- Shake off any excess flour and dip in egg mixture, coating it thoroughly.
- Finally dip it into the breadcrumbs and coat it completely in bread crumbs.
- Set the piece aside to rest and repeat with the remaining pieces.
- Once the fries are done cooking place them on a tray and put them in the 250 degree oven. This will keep them warm.
- Use a mister spray bottle to spray the bread crumb covered pieces with a little bit of oil. If you don’t have a spray bottle brush some oil on with a pastry brush.
- Place the coated fillets in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- After 6 minutes open the air fryer and carefully flip each piece over. Continue to cook until it flakes easily with a fork or reaches a temperature of 145 degrees F. Total cooking time will be around 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with the French fries along with lemon and tartar sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
4 thoughts on “Make Friday Fish Fry in the Air Fryer”
I’ve never written anyone from Pinterest before, but I just had to write you. I have done without fried fish because of the calories most of my life. I have to say that I am AMAZED at how great my fish turned out with your recipe. It’s as good if not better than any fried fish I’ve eaten before. You have made me so happy. Thank you.
Hi, I’m making this now but don’t see an amount for flour? I’m assuming it’s somewhere between a 1/2 cup to a full cup… I’ll wing it this time, but in case I need to make this again, how much flour should we be using?
I had the same question making it now, it looks like it will be good thanks!
Great recipe, loved the flavor, The crispiness was good.