Air fryer fish and chips is a delicious easy fish fry made in the air fryer. Get crispy fish without deep frying. Cod or haddock is breaded and cooked in the air fryer for fish that is crunchy outside and flaky inside. This easy homemade fish and chips makes a great fish dinner!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fish and chips is a classic dinner for a reason. Air fryer fish and chips gives you golden, crispy fish with less oil, fat, calories and guilt.
Now I wish I could tell you that air fried fish tastes just like deep fried, but it doesn’t. It tastes amazing and the air fryer does a great job of crisping it and making a crusty coating, but you will know it wasn’t deep fried.
But deep fried fish is a heavy dinner and not something I indulge in more than once or twice a year anyway, even though it is delicious. The air fryer is perfect for cooking fish that is tasty and healthy.
Why You Will Love Air Fryer Fish and Chips
- The breading makes the fish crispy and golden on the outside.
- The fish is flaky and moist inside.
- It is cooked with very little added oil.
- It is a classic fish dinner for Lent or anytime of the year.
- You can use any type of white fish with this versatile recipe.
- Fish – This recipe works for any thicker white fish like cod, haddock or flounder. Traditionally cod is most often used for fish fry. My husband thinks only haddock should be served for fish fry, so that is what I always make.
- Bread crumbs – Panko bread crumbs are dryer and flakier than regular bread crumbs. They don’t absorb as much oil and tend to stay crispier longer. I used panko in this recipe, but regular bread crumbs will also work with no recipe modifications.
- Flour – The flour coats the fish fillets and helps dry them so the bread crumbs will stick and coating will crisp.
- Seasoning – I seasoned the fish with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- Egg – Dipping the fish in egg helps the coating stick and brown.
- Fries – The “chips” in fish and chips is French fries of course. You can make homemade fries, like air fryer sweet potato fries, or use pre-made frozen ones.
How to Make Air Fryer Fish and Chips
1. Make the Chips
Use the air fryer to make your favorite French fries. Or just heat frozen fries in the air fryer at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, shaking once.
While the fries cook preheat the oven to 250 degrees F and get the fish ready for air frying.
2. Dip the Fish
Prepare three bowls for the fish. In one bowl combine the flour along with the salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
Break the egg into another bowl and stir it with a fork to break it up. Put the bread crumbs in the third bowl.
Cut the fish into pieces that are good for serving and will fit into the air fryer basket. For haddock I cut the fillets in half.
Use a paper towel to pat the fish fillets dry. If the fillets aren’t dry the coating will not stick to them as well.
Dip each fish fillet into the flour, then shake off any excess. Then dip the fish into the egg to coat it with beaten egg.
Finally dip the fillet into the bowl of bread crumbs. Turn it to coat the entire piece of fish with bread crumbs. Put the bread crumb coated fish aside on a rack and dip the rest of the fish.
3. Air Fry the Fish
Once the fries are done dump them out on a tray and put them in the preheated 250 degree oven. This will keep them warm while the fish cooks.
Use a mister bottle of spray oil to spray a thin layer of oil on top of the fish on the racks. Don’t use commercial spray oil like Pam, since it can damage the finish of the basket.
If you don’t have a mister bottle brush a little oil on the fish with a pastry brush. The air fryer uses less oil than deep frying, but you need some oil to get golden brown fish!
Transfer the fish to the air fryer basket. Make sure you don’t over crowd the basket or overlap the fish.
I find I can fit two haddock fillets cut into 4 pieces in my 5.8 quart air fryer. This is enough fish for 3-4 people.
Set the air fryer at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. If you just cooked fries in it the air fryer will already be warm. If you didn’t make fries in it preheat it at 400 degrees F for 3 minutes.
After about 6 minutes pull the basket out and carefully flip the fish over. The fish will will brown better on both sides if you flip it. When you flip it you can also spray a little more oil on the fish if you want.
The fish is done when it flakes easily or reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees. For haddock this takes 10-12 minutes, although the time will vary if you fish is thicker or thinner.
How to Serve
Serve the air fried fish with the French fries along with some tartar sauce and lemon on the side. If you want to make your dinner traditional British fish and chips add some vinegar for the fries!
How to Store
Fish and chips tastes best when it is eaten right away. You can reheat leftovers in the air fryer by cooking it at 370 degrees for for 5 minutes, but the fish won’t be as crispy.
Air Fryer Fish Sticks
You can easily make this recipe into fish stick by just cutting the fish into smaller fish stick shapes. Nothing else would change but the shape of the fish.
I know my kids preferred fish sticks when they were younger, because they are so fun to dip. Plus air fryer fish sticks makes the entire dinner into finger food!
Frequently Asked Questions
It is difficult to air fry frozen fish fillets because the breading will not stick well to them. For best results thaw the fish before air frying it.
Flour or cornmeal by itself also makes a good coating for air fryer fish. Check out my recipe for air fryer catfish for fried fish without breadcrumbs.
If you want to make the recipe keto friendly you can substitute crush pork rinds for the bread crumbs.
Find More Easy Dinner Ideas
- 16 ounces frozen French fries (or your favorite homemade air fryer fries)
- 1 pounds fish fillets (haddock, cod, pollock, flounder or other white fish)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Make the French fries before you make the fish. Use the air fryer to heat frozen French fries at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, shaking once. Or make homemade air fryer fries.
- While the fries cook preheat the oven to 250 degrees F and prepare the fish.
- Get three bowls for breading the fish. In one bowl put the bread crumbs. In the second bowl put the egg and stir it to mix it. In the third bowl add the flour along with the paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper and stir to mix.
- Cut the fish into serving size pieces. You can also cut it into fish stick pieces if you prefer.
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel. Then dip it into the bowl with the flour and coat it in flour.
- Shake off any excess flour and dip the fish into the bowl with the egg, coating it thoroughly.
- Finally dip the fish into the breadcrumbs and coat it completely in bread crumbs.
- Set the fish aside to rest and repeat with the remaining pieces.
- Once the fries are done cooking place them on a tray and put them in the 250 degree oven. This will keep them warm while the fish cooks.
- Use a mister spray bottle to spray the bread crumb covered fish with a little bit of oil. If you don't have a spray bottle brush some oil on with a pastry brush.
- Place the fish in the air fryer basket, making sure not to overlap it. Cook at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- After 6 minutes open the air fryer and carefully flip the fish over. Continue to cook until the fish flakes easily with a fork or reaches a temperature of 145 degrees F. Total cooking time will be around 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with the French fries along with lemon and tartar sauce.
If using frozen fish fillets thaw them first. The breading will not stick well to frozen fillets.
If you skip making fries in the air fryer preheat it for 3 minutes at 400 F before cooking the fish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 878mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 25g
Nutrition facts are estimates and don't include French fries.