This recipe for Spinach Tomato Frittata is a great way to add some vegetables to your eggs for a hearty and filling breakfast.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I frequently have eggs for breakfast, because they are quick to make and tasty. I usually just fry them up along with leftover veggies from the previous night’s dinner, but sometimes I want to make something more. This Spinach Tomato Frittata is the perfect vegetable frittata for breakfast or brunch.
What is a frittata?
Frittatas are a simple egg and vegetable dish that is started on the stove top and finished off in the oven. The most important thing to have for a frittata is an oven proof skillet, like a cast iron skillet or carbon steel frying pan. A frittata is made by sauteing some vegetables, adding well beaten eggs, and then baking the entire thing in the oven.
For this breakfast frittata I sauteed spinach, onions, peppers in a little bit of oil. Then I beat together eight eggs and poured them on top of the veggies. Instead of cutting up the tomatoes and mixing them with the other vegetables I sliced them thinly and layered them on top of the frittata after I added the eggs. The tomatoes stayed floating on top as the eggs baked, which made the entire dish look more elegant and pretty.
Frittatas are also great for days when you are having breakfast for dinner, because they are cheap to make and filling. I usually make them for breakfast though, because then there will be leftovers I can heat up the next day.
Tomato Spinach Frittata
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup onions diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper diced
- 4 cup spinach chopped
- 8 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Heat the coconut oil in an oven proof frying pan.
- Saute the onions and red peppers for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the spinach and stir until the spinach wilts.
- Mix the eggs in a bowl with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Stir thoroughly to break up the yolks and combine the eggs.
- Pour the eggs in the pan and shake the pan to distribute the veggies and eggs evenly.
- Gently lay the tomato slices on top of the eggs and continue to cook for 3 minutes until the edges of the eggs start to look set.
- Put the pan in the oven and let it bake for 15 minutes, until the eggs are cooked through and lightly brown on top.
Spinach Tomato Frittata Tips
- This is a dairy free frittata but if you like cheese it would be delicious with 1/2 a cup sprinkled on top.
- A frittata is a great way to use up leftover vegetables.