Are you looking for a spectacular dish for Easter brunch? This recipe for Italian Meat Pie is a great combination of savory meats, cheeses and eggs with flaky pie crust.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
My family is not Italian, but this is a traditional Italian Easter dish that is also called Pizza Chenna or Pizza Rustica. I decided it would be fun to make an Easter Meat Pie this year!
Italian Meats and Cheeses for the Easter Meat Pie
This is a recipe that every cook makes differently, because there are so many different kinds of meats and cheese that can be combined. I used Italian sausage, prosciutto, sopressatta and pepperoni along with three different kinds of cheese which made a very filling pie!
You can make a simpler, but still delicious, dish by reducing the numbers of meats and cheese in the pie. I used refrigerated pie crust but of course it would be even better with flaky homemade crust.
This is a pretty complicated recipe because you have to cook some of the meats, hard boil the eggs and then combine it all into one big pie for baking.
But it tastes better if it is made ahead and chilled overnight, which means it is a perfect make ahead dish for an Easter brunch.
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 lb Italian hot sausage
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust
- 1/4 lb proscuitto
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 3 oz mozzerella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup asiagio cheese, grated
- 1/4 lb sopressata
- 1/4 lb pepperoni
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- Hard boil 2 of the eggs and cool.
- Beat the other 3 eggs in a large bowl and set aside.
- Brown the Italian sausage, removing it from the casing if necessary.
- Roll out one of the pieces of pie dough and place it in a pie plate.
- Layer the proscuitto over the pie crust, lining the bottom of the pie.
- Add the ricotta, mozzerella and asagio cheese to the bowl with the eggs and mix.
- Chop the sopressetta and pepperoni into 1 inch pieces and add to the bowl.
- Add the parsley and pepper and mix well. You probably don't want to add any salt because the meats are salty.
- Pour the filling into the pastry crust.
- Roll out the top crust and place on top. Crimp the edges and cut slits in the dough to vent.
- Bake at 350 for 60-75 minutes
Use my easy pie crust recipe for a delicious homemade crust.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Saturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 147mgSodium: 683mgCarbohydrates: 1gProtein: 16g