Local farms have started picking strawberries, one of my favorite fruits. This is how my mom always makes Strawberry Shortcake, with strawberries and whipped cream rolled up inside a sponge cake.
If you have never tried to make a cake roll can seem a little intimidating, but it isn’t that difficult, and it tastes much better than store bought shortcake cups. The secret to getting the cake to roll without cracking (much) is to put the hot cake on a dish towel dusted with powdered sugar, and then roll it up to cool.
Then when it is cool you can unroll the cake and fill it. And even if it cracks a little bit it doesn’t matter since you are covering it in whipped cream!
- 4 eggs
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- ¾ c. flour
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 2 quarts strawberries
- 1 pint heavy cream, whipped
- Prepare jelly roll pan linin it with waxed paper or parchment paper, and butter the paper. This ensures it is easy to get the cake roll out of the pan. I just use a cookie sheet with edges, it doesn’t have to be a jelly roll pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375, and separate the 4 eggs.
- Whip the 4 egg whites until stiff, then pour onto a plate and set aside. I always do the egg whites first, because then I don’t have to wash out the mixer bowl.
- Put the 4 egg yolks in a mixer bowl with the sugar and beat until creamy. Add the vanilla and beat again.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Now fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture while sifting the flour over the top, stirring gently with a spatula.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes, until it is light brown.
- Turn onto a towel dusted with powdered sugar, and roll up the long way inside the towel. This helps it keep its shape once it is filled.
- Once it has completely cooled inside the towel unroll the sponge cake, and spread with whipped cream and strawberries. Roll it back up and serve with more strawberries and cream.
Looking for more strawberry recipes? Check out my Strawberry Pinterest Board!