I love strawberries, and they are the perfect fruit for Valentine’s Day. Chocolate dipped strawberries are yummy, but for me the best strawberry dessert is shortcake. This is my favorite way to make strawberry shortcake, with the strawberries and whipped cream rolled up in a cake roll. My mom always makes it this way, and this is her recipe. If you have never tried to make a cake roll it seems intimidating, but it isn’t that difficult, and it tastes much better than store bought shortcake cups. Plus it will make a spectacular dessert for your sweetheart.
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 3/4 c. flour
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 2 quarts strawberries
- whipped cream
- Prepare jelly roll pan by buttering it, then line it with waxed paper and butter the waxed paper. This ensures it is easy to get the cake roll out of the pan. I just use a cookie sheet with edges, it doesn’t have to be a jelly roll pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375, and separate the 4 eggs.
- Whip the 4 egg whites until stiff, then pour onto a plate and set aside. I always do the egg whites first, because then I don’t have to wash out the mixer bowl.
- Put the 4 egg yolks in a mixer bowl with the sugar and beat until creamy. Add the vanilla and beat again.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Now fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture while sifting the flour over the top. This sounds more complicated than it is, I just stir them all together gently with a spatula.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes, until it is light brown.
- Turn onto a towel dusted with powdered sugar, and roll up the long way inside the towel. This helps it keep its shape once it is filled.
- Once it has completely cooled inside the towel unroll the sponge cake, and spread with whipped cream and strawberries. Roll it back up and serve with more strawberries and cream.
Looking for more dessert ideas for Valentine’s Day? Check out all the great recipes on this linky!