This foolproof, homemade recipe lets you make delicious pizza. Cast iron skillet pizza has a crispy crust outside with a chewy interior for a quick and easy dinner. Make tasty pizza in your oven at home, even without a pizza stone!
I live in a small town where pizza and wings are just about the only takeout options. My family and I enjoy pizza – but most of the takeout pizza around here just isn’t very good!
It tends to be greasy and is often burned. And it is not uncommon for us to be quoted 1 1/2 hours for a delivery time – which means we always end up having to drive to go get it ourselves.
So now we mostly make pizza at home. Recently I have found that making my homemade pizza in a cast iron skillet makes it even better, no matter what you put on top of it!
I can make this homemade cast iron pizza and have it on the table in the time it would take me to order pizza, go get it, and bring it home. And I don’t even have to put on my shoes and coat!
Why You Will Love this Pizza
- It is easy to make. You can use premade pizza dough or use homemade dough recipe I include that doesn’t even require yeast.
- It is fast. I can make this pizza from start to finish in about 25 minutes which is faster than I can get takeout or delivered pizza.
- You can customize the cast iron pizza with your family’s favorite toppings. Try creative and different toppings like pulled pork pizza or leftover turkey pizza
- You don’t need a pizza stone to get crispy crust because the cast iron skillet makes the dough crispy on the bottom but chewy inside.
No Yeast Pizza Crust
I am including my recipe for no yeast pizza crust. This crust is great when you need a pizza dough quickly, because you don’t have to wait for the dough to rise.
This dough recipe uses baking powder to make the dough rise. That makes it taste a little more biscuit like than standard pizza dough. But it tastes great and is perfect when you want pizza dough fast.
Using Premade Dough
You can also make this pizza recipe with store bought fresh dough. I frequently buy pizza dough balls from the grocery store and use them in my cast iron skillet.
If you are using premade dough use 10-14 ounces of dough for this recipe, which is about half of a standard dough ball. If you use an entire ball of dough the pizza crust will be too thick.
Size of Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
This pizza is obviously smaller than one made on an 18 inch pizza pie pan. I use a 12 inch cast iron skillet and I find this pizza feeds 3 people.
If I am cooking for more than 3 people I double the recipe and use two cast iron skillets. I have inherited lots of cast iron, from both my mother and mother in law.
But if you don’t have two skillets you can just make the second pizza after the first cooks. The cooking time is fast, so everyone can enjoy one piece of pizza while they wait for the second pizza to cook.
Step by Step Instructions
Set the oven to preheat to 450 degrees F and place the empty cast iron skillet in the oven while it preheats. Make the dough while the oven preheats.
Having the oven and the cast iron skillet hot is key for making sure the pizza dough is nice and crispy.
2. Make the Dough
In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and stir until well combined. Then combine the water and olive oil together in a measuring cup.
Slowly pour the water mixture into the flour mixture stirring while you pour. Mix the dough completely with a wooden spoon or your hands.
Keep mixing the dough until it is soft but not sticky. If it seems too dry add more water 1 Tablespoon at a time.
3. Shape the Dough
Turn the dough out onto a cutting board and shape it into a round shape, big enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Let the dough relax while the oven finishes preheating.
Once the oven reaches temperature take out the skillet. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with cornmeal to prevent the dough from sticking.
Place the dough in the pan and stretch as needed, working the edges up the sides a little bit. Remember the skillet will be hot, be careful!
4. Pre-bake the Dough
Put the cast iron skillet back in the oven for 5 minutes to start cooking the dough. This helps ensure the dough is cooked all the way through.
5. Add Toppings
Take the skillet out of the oven again. Use a pastry brush the edges of the dough with olive oil. You can also sprinkle some dried herbs onto the crust at this point if you like.
Then spread pizza sauce evenly over the dough. Go right up to the edges of the pizza.
Add your choice of toppings along with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Put the pizza back in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
The pizza is done when the mozzarella is golden brown and bubbly.
Pro Tip – Avoid Soggy Pizza
Avoid the temptation to add to many toppings to the pizza. If you pile too much on top the crust will not cook as evenly and the pizza is more likely to be soggy. I find 2-3 toppings in addition to cheese are enough.
How to Serve
Take the pizza out of the oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes. Then slice the pizza and serve it right away.
How to Store
If you have leftover pizza store it covered in the refrigerator. My favorite way to reheat leftover pizza is to use an air fryer, although some people enjoy it just as much cold.
Frequently Asked Questions
A cast iron skillet has two big advantages when it comes to cooking pizza at home. First, it has a high heat capacity so the pizza crust is crispy without burning.
Secondly the sides allow you get an edge on the pizza. This gives you thicker, chewy edges to contrast with the crispy bottom crust.
If the pizza is sticking to the skillet it probably means the skillet is not well seasoned. In this case add a little oil to the skillet before adding the dough.
Check out this article to learn more about seasoning cast iron.
You can use a pizza cutter directly in the cast iron skillet. The cast iron is strong enough that the surface won’t be damaged by a pizza cutter.
I have found though that is awkward to use a pizza cutter in the skillet, because of the sides. So it is easier to take the pizza out and then cut it.
Find More Skillet Dinners
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Cornmeal for skillet
- 4 Tablespoons pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup Italian sausage
- 12 pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and put the cast iron skillet in the oven while it preheats.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- Combine the water and olive oil together in a measuring cup.
- Slowly add the water mixture to the flour mixture, mixing the two together as you add the water mixture.
- Mix the dough with a wooden spoon or your hands until the dough becomes soft but not sticky and well combined. If the dough is dry add water a tablespoon at a time until the dough is soft.
- While the pan heats, roll out the dough into a round shape, big enough to cover the bottom of your pan, plus about a little bit up the sides. Allow the dough to relax and re-stretch if needed.
- Once the oven and the pan are preheated remove it from the oven. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with cornmeal and place dough in the bottom of the pan, working the edges up the sides. Be careful, the pan will be HOT!
- Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 5 minutes so the dough can start to cook.
- Brush the outer edges of the dough with olive oil and spread the pizza sauce evenly over the dough, bringing it right to the edge of the pizza.
- Top with mozzarella, sausage and pepperoni, or other toppings as desired.
- Bake for 10-12 mins, or until the mozzarella is golden brown and bubbling and the crust is cooked through
- Let the pizza rest for 5 minutes. Then use a spatula to take it out of the pan, slice and serve.
Don't add too many toppings to the pizza or it might become soggy. Two to three toppings in addition to cheese are about right.
If your pizza sticks to the cast iron skillet add a little oil to the skillet before adding the dough.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 755Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 1316mgCarbohydrates: 110gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 23g
Nutrition facts are estimates.