Make this Colcannon Soup for St. Patrick’s Day! This Irish Potato Soup with Cabbage is a hearty and tasty way to celebrate the day.
Are you looking for a new way to serve potatoes? Potatoes are a staple food in my house, because they are cheap, easy to make and everyone will eat them. This recipe for Irish Colcannon Soup is perfect for either St. Patrick’s Day or a meatless Lenten Soup.
Irish Potato Soup
Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish of mashed potatoes mixed with cabbage. This recipe combines the same flavors, but the potatoes are used to make a thick and creamy Irish soup and mixed with cabbage for a dish that is hearty enough for dinner.
The potatoes are cooked in broth and then blended to make the base for the soup. Then the cabbage is sauteed and mixed with the potatoes. I added a little bit of cream to make the broth richer, and then topped it off with some thyme and pepper.
The soup is very tasty, and full of vegetables. It makes an excellent meatless meal for the Lenten season, especially since it is Irish inspired, and St. Patrick’s day falls during Lent.
- 2 potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 4 cups cabbage about 1/4 of a cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup cream
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Add to a sauce pan with salt, pepper, vegetable broth and water.2 potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth, 1 cup water
- Bring to a boil and cook 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes cook dice the onions and cut the cabbage into thin slices.1 onion, 4 cups cabbage
- When the potatoes are done pour the potato mixture into a blender and set aside for a little while to cool.
- Turn the heat on the sauce pan down to medium low and add the olive oil.1 tbsp olive oil
- Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes, then add the cabbage and thyme, and cook for 10 minutes.1 onion, 4 cups cabbage
- Turn the blender on and blend the potato mixture until smooth.
- Return the potato mixture to the sauce pan and mix with the cabbage.
- Add the cream and heat on low heat for 5 minutes.1/2 cup cream
- Sprinkle with some more pepper and thyme before serving.1/2 teaspoon thyme
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
- If you aren’t looking for a meatless meal this Irish Potato soup would be delicious with a little bacon crumbled on top.
- You can made the soup preparation even quicker if you cook the cabbage and potatoes simultaneously in different pans and then combine them.
- An immersion blender would also work well for preparing this creamy Irish soup recipe.