This Thai Shrimp Soup is made with creamy coconut milk, and it is a perfect meatless recipe for Lent or any time of the year.
This post contains affiliate links.
Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup
I love Thai food because it is zesty, spicy and full of flavor. This Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup combines the delicious flavor of coconut along with traditional Green Curry Paste for a a tasty seafood soup.
When I was at the grocery store last week I found these cute little Petite Shanghai cabbage, which are like miniature bok choi. I decided they would be perfect for this soup, although you could substitute a different green, like spinach if your store doesn’t carry them. The Petite Shanghai cabbage is very tender, and go well with the coconut flavored broth. Leafy greens are an important part of a healthy diet and a flavorful soup like this one is a great way to include them for more reluctant eaters.
This soup is very quick to make, so it is a great weeknight meal! It has only a few ingredients and in less than 30 minutes you can have a hearty meatless soup on the dinner table.
Lifver 42-Oz Porcelain Soup/Noodle/Cereal Bowl,Elegant White,Set of 4 Serving BowlsLodge EC6D43 Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven, 6-Quart, Island Spice RedCucinaPrime Set of 4 Stainless Steel Soup Ladle 2oz, 4oz, 6oz, 8oz
Coconut Shrimp Soup
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon green chili paste
- 1 lb shrimp
- 3/4 lb baby bok choy, sliced
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Saute the onion and curry powder for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce and green chili paste, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the pan, and put the cabbage on top. Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and cabbage is wilted.
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Cholesterol: 285mgSodium: 1291mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 24g
More Meatless Soup Recipes for Lent
- Irish Colcannon Soup
- Italian Tortellini Soup
- Mexican Tomato Soup with Corn Dumplings
- Vatapa with Mussels