This tasty Kale Watermelon smoothie recipe is an easy summertime breakfast smoothie. This dairy free watermelon smoothie adds kale and banana for a creamy treat.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Unfortunately no one in my family but me really likes kale. However it is so nutritious, filled with antioxidants and fiber, that I still want to serve it to my family occasionally. Last week I made this Kale Watermelon Smoothie for a refreshing summer treat.
Is Kale Bitter in a Smoothie?
Kale is a fairly bitter leafy green, so it can taste bitter in a smoothie. The key to preventing bitterness is to combine the kale with a flavorful, sweet fruit that will mask any bitterness. Watermelon is an excellent choice for this because it is sweet and bursting with flavor.
While the green color from the kale dominates the color of the smoothie, the taste is mostly the sweet watermelon and creamy banana.
This smoothie really doesn’t need any added sweetener like sugar or honey and the flavor of the fruit really shines through for a refreshing summery taste. This recipe makes enough for one large smoothie if you are using it for a meal or couple of small smoothies for a between meal pick-me-up snack.
- 2 cup watermelon chunks
- 3 leaves kale
- 1/2 banana
- 6 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup water
Layer all the ingredients in a blender and blend. If it is too thick add more water.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Tips for Kale Watermelon Smoothie
- This recipe is also delicious if made with spinach instead of kale.
- Since watermelon is so juicy the recipe doesn’t need much extra liquid, but you can add more water if you don’t like a thick smoothie.
- Kale leaves can be tough, so using a high quality blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix will prevent you from having tiny pieces of kale leaves floating in the smoothie.
Find more Dairy Free Smoothie Recipes
- Mango Avocado Smoothie
- Blackberry Oatmeal Smoothie
- Pineapple Kiwi Smoothie Bowl
- Strawberry Avocado Smoothie